Texas already offers a number of services online.
- The Texas Department of Information Resources manages the state’s online portal, Texas.gov.
- Texans already use Texas.gov for a variety of governmental functions, including to renew their driver’s license and to apply for a concealed handgun license.
Texas has already modernized voter registration in two ways.
- Voters can change their name or address on their voter registration files, provided that their new address is within the same county as their current registration.
- The Texas Department of Public Safety uses an online portal to transfer to the Secretary of State the voter registration applications of individuals who register to vote when getting their driver’s license.
Texas is ready for full Online Voter Registration.
- A 2014 poll found that most Texans want full Online Voter Registration.
- Over half of all states have already adopted Online Voter Registration, including Arizona, Georgia, Indiana, Louisiana and South Carolina.
- More states are seriously considering adopting Online Voter Registration in 2017, including Mississippi.
- Texas officials are confident that they can run a safe and secure Online Voter Registration system.
- The Legislative Budget Board has said that Online Voter Registration would not have a significant cost and that the Department of Information Resources could implement it using existing resources.